‘Public access’ privileges allow you to define who sees a particular page or section of the site.
Note that this feature also controls who sees images in the Photo library.
By default, Brand Toolbox makes all pages available to ‘Employee’ and ‘Non-employee’ Member Groups. Unless you specifically change this setting, all underlying folders and pages inherit these access privileges. Note that you only need to change these settings when you want to block individual member groups from viewing specific content.
Restricting access to pages
You may decide to restrict access to a page so it is viewable by ‘Employee’ member groups only. For example, you may have an internal comms page such as ‘Internal corporate letterheads’, and wish to exclude 3rd party or external suppliers (ie. Non-employees) from viewing the page.
To restrict access to the ‘Employee’ member group only, follow the steps below:
- Select a page (node) in the Content tree and select the Public access option in the Actions menu. Or, right-click a page node and select Public access from the slide out actions menu.
- The Public Access slide out menu appears. Select ‘Role based protection’ and click Select.
- You’ll be presented with the Public access – Role based protection slide out menu.
- Pick the member group/s that you would like to have access to the page (e.g. Employees). You will see a list of all of the member groups for your site in the left hand list. Use the ( >> ) or ( << ) buttons to move these groups to/from the right hand list. For an ‘Employee’ group member to be able view the page, it must appear in the right hand list (as per below).
- Specify the Login Page. This is important in the event a user attempts to browse to this protected page without first being logged into the site. In this scenario, they will first be redirected to login:
- Specify the Error Page. This is the page that users are redirected to when logged on but do not have access to the page:
- Choose: Error (DO NOT CHOOSE ‘Server Error 404’)
- Click the Save button to enable changes.
Note: Users who do not have permission to view a page or section will not see the link in the navigation menu.
Image and Asset restrictions and access
Setting restrictions and access for images and assets are handled differently than page permissions.
View the links below to read more: